OUTWORDS is the first effort to create an oral and visual history of the LGBTQ community, through professionally produced, on-camera interviews with queer pioneers and elders all over America. The OUTWORDS coffee table book will be published by Harper Collins in June 2019 (the 50th anniversary of Stonewall). Our mission is to celebrate the diverse stories and perspectives that created our community; to guard against the erasure of our history; and to share our inspiring, compelling story with the world.
We are seeking a qualified Archival Assistant responsible for the processing and maintaining of archival items and collections, as well as performing various editorial tasks related to publishing the book. We need a self-motivated, independent worker with outstanding organizational, communication, writing, and in particular, photo editing skills.
The Archival Assistant works directly with the Executive Director and Operations Director to prepare historic materials. Duties include:
- Inputting information into databases
- Communicating with interview subjects to collect archival materials
- Assisting elderly interview subjects with technical issues (photo scanning, etc)
- Creating release forms with photo thumbnails
- Procuring signatures following a systematic methodology
- Formatting and batch formatting file names for photos, release forms, and transcriptions, then filing in an online system
- Evaluating photos for publication
- Proofreading interview transcriptions
- Researching potential interview subjects
- Performing other clerical or administrative work needed to run the archive
Work may be completed remotely, with weekly phone check-ins with the Operations Director and occasional meetings at OUTWORDS’ offices in Los Angeles.
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to process and categorize archival materials
- Significant experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, and GSuite, and ability to learn all required business systems
- Ability to carefully follow written and oral instructions and to communicate clearly and concisely in person and in writing
- Exceptional customer service, oral and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail, and the ability to troubleshoot and make effective decisions
- Meaningful connection to the LGBTQ community and its unique history
- Experience and knowledge of the principles and practices of collection, compilation, and analysis of archival materials
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
- Social Media savvy
OUTWORDS actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds and traditions, who vary by their race and ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, culture, religion, and physical and mental abilities. We seek to foster an environment where new, unpopular and/or controversial ideas are safely expressed, and encourage the exchange of such views in an environment of mutual respect.
Time commitment: 10 hours/week. (Strong likelihood of additional hours and responsibilities as the project grows and expands.)
Pay: $12-15/hour depending on relevant experience.
Please reply with cover letter and resume
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $12.00 to $15.00 /hour
OUTWORDS is the first national project to record professional-quality, on-camera interviews with LGBTQ pioneers all over America.
By capturing these stories, OUTWORDS will ensure that our remarkable history can never be erased.
By sharing these stories, we will teach young leaders and citizens to practice tolerance, celebrate diversity, and work for positive change in their communities.